Sunday, April 5, 2009

Easy and Hard

When I was in junior high, I wanted to expand my participation on the track team from the half mile to the long jump. I approached my mom about allowing me to dig a landing pit so I could practice at home. She agreed and recommended a location to put it. I dug out the grass, removed any rocks, and made a nice soft place to land. The next year my landing pit was converted to a garden. It is much easier to dig a landing pit than it is to dig a garden.

When the new Duty to God award was introduced, I was working with young men and decided to fulfill all of the requirements myself. My son also filled all the requirements for the one year of he had remaining in Young Men. He did not know he was filling requirements and might well have provided static had he been doing only that. Instead, as a family we filled the scripture reading requirements, to prepare for life after high school we filled other requirements, to help me out when I was busy I would ask him to do things and still more requirements were filled. He did not even know he was working on a program and the years requirements were completed in the natural course of day to day and without complaint or fussing. It was easy.

How many more things are harder or easier then they need to be because of the purpose we think is being accomplished by our actions?

No comments:

Post a Comment